Friday, 1 March 2013

Counselling Anxiety

It is as though the universe listened. After whinging yesterday on this very blog a couple of days ago I got an appointment for my very first therapy session this morning. Well, that was interesting. My therapist is one of these women who looks like a mother figure that is going to take you in her arms, cuddle you, and make everything ok, which only added to my anxiety. I could almost feel her spirit of 'LET ME HEAL YOU' overspilling through her comforting smile and understanding eye gaze. This only adds to my anxiety about the whole experience.

I talked, and she listened, and then I felt that all the things that I was talking about were somehow wrong or abstract, but I kept talking and she kept listening and I couldn't help thinking in my head that this wasn't and isn't helping and really you're just a stranger and why do you want to know any of this anyway, but I keep on talking. And then, after I finish talking she looks at me and talks to me and I get something...she understands. Someone, who i've just met, knows me off of a few tests and scores and statistical objectives actually understands what I'm talking about, and she makes me feel that the way I feel is completely justified and that I have a right to be sitting in front of her babbling like an insane loon.

But then she does something which is completely unexpected, she tries to do a relaxation exercise on me. Doesn't she know that I don't 'do' relaxation. So I'm sitting there, with my eyes closed and breathing and doing what she tells me and I just start crying, sobbing, tears rolling down my cheeks as I breathe in and out and think about colours. This is why I don't relax, this is why I am tightly wound and stay in control, because when I 'relax' I have to let go, which doesn't compliment my inner control freak who works so hard daily.

Now? I actually feel ok. I don't feel like the experience has made me feel worse, to my own suprise, and I somehow feel like a little piece that was dragging me down has been released into the atmosphere, and is no longer my problem.

Apparently it's a weekly experience I shall endure, but it did give me hope. Maybe....just maybe I will feel better one day, maybe I will be myself again. 

3 comments:

  1. What's up, just wanted to tell you, I liked this blog post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

    Feel free to visit my weblog nosebleed

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this post
    and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions.
    Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!

    Also visit my webpage: here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the counselling helps. I had it for anxiety too. :-)

    ReplyDelete